Friday, November 4, 2011

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

Once I had finally decided on Georgia State & Robinson College of Business, I had to figure out my next step...  They certainly don't give you a road map in your Acceptance Letter!  So it was up to me to determine my ultimate goal.  What did I want to do when I grew up?

Truth be told?  I had no idea what I wanted to study or what I even wanted to achieve with an MBA.  Not exactly the groundwork for a strong trajectory in my professional career!  I was sure, though, that with the plethora of programs and concentrations offered at GSU, I could find one that would speak to me.  There are 19 concentrations in the Flex-MBA program alone!  Certainly, I could devise a plan before I was too far along in the program.

Once I did begin the program (I chose the Flex MBA after all), I realized that the curriculum that not only complemented my current work in Finance, but exposed me to other business models and schools of thought, as well as showed me diverse business and social cultures.  Frankly, the diversity of the student population appealed to me greatly and satisfied a void in my life.  Such an environment helped me think outside of the box and actually awakened my passions: Marketing & International Business.  Finally, I'd started to find my way!  

After two years in the program, I was fortunate enough to leave behind the full-time job that no longer fulfilled me in order to pursue an MBA full-time.  The transition from “working professional” to “full-time grad student” took a little getting used to, but being able to focus solely on my education has been rewarding and well worth the adjustment.  In fact, I now have a post-graduation road map! 

Now it is you who are starting a new stage of your life, and despite economic conditions, or a predetermined career path you've got your sights set on, or even complete indecision like I had, the world is your oyster!  Ask yourself: What do YOU want to be when you grow up?  And Go For It!

No comments:

Post a Comment