Friday, November 4, 2011

What Are You Looking At?

You're off on the journey to picking the fine institution that, for the next few years, will be your home away from home and your second (or full-time) career, and it's no cake walk, I tell you what!  So, as you look towards the road ahead, what do you see for yourself? What's your plan?  The goals you are setting for yourself could be goals for personal or professional growth - or both!  You may be looking at a few different schools (as well you should), but what are you really looking for?  

It took me a loooonng time to realize what I was going to do about the feelings I had around my own stagnant professional and personal growth.  It actually took me about three years of thinking about applying before I got on the ball and really started looking at schools.  

But, what did I really want from a grad school?  

Here's what I decided... 

I wanted a different experience and a stronger reputation than what my "local" undergrad University could provide, but I also knew I needed a program that was flexible (I was working full-time) and reasonably priced. Some programs seemed too structured and impersonal for my liking.   I absolutely did not want to just be an ID number, or a nameless face.  I wanted it to be real.  I wanted to throw myself into it, get to know professors, make friends, dive in and really get my feet wet! 

As compelling as these selection criteria may be, though, they were not why I chose to attend Georgia State University.  Honestly, it was because it just felt right.  I had found what I was looking for...  So, as you look ahead to where you want to be at the end of the road, what does it look like for you? What is your vision?  What are you looking at?

No comments:

Post a Comment