Tuesday, March 6, 2012

You Are Not a Tree!

"If you don’t like where you are, change it – you’re not a tree.” - Lululemon Athletica 

Wow! This perspective gives me such... perspective!  We are not trees!  We have the power to make choices that elicit change in our careers and our lives!

Forging the trail of a career change is not easy, particularly if you're looking to jump into an entirely different industry.  For instance, I am not dying to go back to finance, but my entire career (aka my résumé) concentrates on my experience in finance, which means I have to work pretty hard to reposition myself in the eyes of potential employers and interviewers.

But, driven by a desire to choose differently, I have to accept the challenge, and so do you!

Let's be honest, how many hours a day are spent at a j-o-b?  Isn't it better to be invigorated by the prospect of what lies ahead at the office than dread getting up every morning to devote 8-10 hours a day - sometimes 12 - to a "daily grind"?  (The phrase itself sounds terrible!)

Choose differently!  Set goals for your future and set an intention to align every choice to that goal.  I admit, sometimes that means accepting a position for a year or two to build your experience and your résumé so that you can achieve your dream later, and that's ok!  But no matter your age or situation, don't get stuck, or distracted from your dreams!

The next few months bring challenges for me that entail finding jobs which enliven me and for which I am qualified, as well as actively portraying myself as a marketer, not a financier, in the eyes of many audiences.  It will certainly be a learning experience, that's for sure!  But, the passion to abandon finance in the pursuit of marketing fuels the fire to take on this challenge.  I am not immobile, and I can choose differently.  So can you!

If you don't like where you are, change it.  If you don't like where you're going, change it!  You are not a tree!  

No comments:

Post a Comment