Friday, March 23, 2012

Just Say YES!

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
- Joseph Campbell

This past weekend, a friend of mine came into town.  He is a veteran skydiver and was heading to jump out of planes all weekend with a bunch of friends. It had been ages since we'd hung out, so we decided to meet at the drop zone (where all of the skydivers hang out/camp/jump).  He didn't mention it initially, but I suspected he might try to convince me to jump.  Let's just say this, I was hellbent that I would never fling my body out nothingness.  I mean, never.  

As you certainly guessed, of course, he tried to convince me.  For about 12 hours, he tried to convince me, and during those same 12 hours, I provided a variety of reasons why I would NOT be jumping out of a plane at 14,000 feet! 

But then he got me.  He came up with a reason so compelling, I couldn't stop the "yes" from falling out of mouth.

Here is what he said, "Katherine, when you're 85, you won't be worried about how much it cost or if you would have looked silly.  You'll be sitting on a patio wondering why you didn't do it and what it would have been like. There are all these people here who are cheering for you.  Just do it."

He appealed to the adventurer in me, to the Seize The Day girl who had let the (quite rational) fear keep her feet firmly on the ground.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I knew I didn't want to be the kind of girl who sat on a patio at 85 and wondered what it would have been like.  So, I jumped. Out of a plane. At 14,000 feet.

And you know what?  It was one of the best experiences of my life.  No kidding.  The entire experience was amazing - the people, the energy, the tumbling through the air trying to catch my breath.  I'm even thinking of getting licensed and doing this craziness more often!

I was so taken aback by how much this experience had truly changed me and the way I saw my life.  I mean, 14,000 feet really does give you a different perspective... I started thinking.  How many other times have I said no to experiences because I was afraid of not being good enough, looking silly, what may happen, what may not happen, etc.?  

Here's what I learned.  It doesn't matter if it's skydiving, a blind date, going to graduate school, a consulting project, a job for which you think you're not qualified...  SAY YES.  

Just do it!  Make the leap, swallow the fear, tell the voice that says "I can't do it" to hush up because you know what? You can do it!  You can make it in a new city; you can wow the pants off of that tough client; you can negotiate a higher salary!  You can!

The adventure that awaits when you step into the unknown - graduate school, a new job, a new home, off of a plane - is beyond your wildest dreams, and those are the moments that make life worthwhile.  So say yes to the adventure!



No comments:

Post a Comment