Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What I Learned Wednesday for March 13, 2012


This week’s WILW is brought to you by… ME!

Why? Because I want to share with you what I have been learning about resumes, and let’s just say this about that, creating a resume is nothing compared to refining a resume!

Here are some tried, true, and tough tips I've learned from people who took the time to point me in the right direction. (Thank goodness they did, too, because I was NOT on the right track!)

A resume is to get you an interview NOT a job
And here, I thought that was the point – to make it obvious what a good fit I am for the job, not to make it clear I would be fun to meet in person… whew, I keep having to remind myself of this again and again as I go through draft after draft.

On that note, keep your CV/resume to ONE PAGE.
This task is particularly a challenge for those of us with robust experiences and lots of enthusiasm about the work we have done. (Not that I know anything about that!)  :)  So, be careful to avoid telling your life story. The point is to hook your audience and make them want to learn more about you and give you an interview! (Again, with the interview!)

Do NOT put anything in a resume you are not dying to talk about.
For instance, if you are looking to show off as a community minded individual and list your community service in a lofty manner, consider downplaying it if your only responsibility at your company’s Habitat for Humanity project was bringing the donuts. Just sayin’.

Every single line must relate to the job you’re going after.
You must convey that you are a good fit for the job with every word! 

Have separate resumes for each job/company to which you are applying.
Again, tailor your resume to what the company is looking for (which you can find out on their corporate website and within the job description). For example, if you’re going for a very creative agency gig, do not emphasize the conservative corporate work you’ve done in the past. Dazzle them with your creative pursuits and the innovative campaigns you developed!  

On the other hand, though, if you are dying to have a job with a prestigious investment bank that demands attention to detail and a focus on results, your resume should shine with your skills and experiences to showcase that side of yourself.  Emphasize the experiences you have had that relate to the objective they explain in the job description.

Stay tuned for more networking and job-hunting strategies.  These are the just a few of them!  And as always, I welcome your feedback on your own experiences and job hunting adventures, so please share!  



No comments:

Post a Comment