Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What I Learned Wednesday for February 8th 2012

Preface : Here's a new segment! Every Wednesday, keep a look out for wisdom and hints from current grad students, graduates and business leaders. It's What I Learned Wednesday.

This week's What I Learned is brought to you by Emily, a current MBA grad student who works full-time, plays rec soccer, owns a home and is planning a wedding. Her concentration is real estate, which she chose to pursue because it is a true passion of hers.

Below she shares her thoughts on how to manage the many demands of health, career, life & of course, B-School!

Prepare for class, show up and actually listen.
The conversations & teachings are much more interesting when you're prepared and you're hearing them for a second time. Added Bonus: you won't need to spend so much time cramming later.

On that note... Cramming and all-nighters aren't all they are cracked up to be.   Steady studying & sleep are key to succeeding in grad school.

Take the time to develop relationships with your classmates and teachers.  Networking can change your life!

Sometimes it's best to bite your tongue.

Every group to which you are assigned will be dynamic, and while frustrations and inequities inevitably arise, sometimes you are better offer keeping quiet and carrying on. You never know when you might need a group members' help in the real world.

Your teachers want you to succeed!
Ask for help, continue a classroom conversation outside of class, and foster a relationship with your professors. While the challenging nature of grad school may lead you to believe otherwise, your professors truly do want you to grow.

The busier you are, the better you will do in graduate school.
I will admit that I have been forced to limit the late night partying and dinner dates, but juggling a full-time job, school, exercise, and an abbreviated social life isn't as hard as it sounds... And the busier I am, the better my grades are.

Exercise!

It clears your mind and refreshes you. My first semester of grad school I would miss workouts because of schoolwork. By my second semester I had found that I had time for both - working out let me escape my stresses, and when I returned the books, I was rejuvenated and much more effective.

... ... ...

Wow!  Emily's own very valuable lessons seem easy enough to put into practice.  You can follow her simple, sound advice to manage the high expectations you have for yourself while you find your own work/life balance during any high-pressure endeavor, like grad school!

If you'd like to hear more from Emily, or let her know how her life lessons have benefited you, be sure to leave us a note!

No comments:

Post a Comment