Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Day In The Life... (A Real Doozy!)

Alright, guys, here is the epitome of a day in the life of a grad student.  Today is the real deal kind of day that may lie ahead for your B-school adventure!

6:45 a.m. : Hit Snooze...Forgo going to the gym.

7:45: Wake Up ...Check the weather while convincing myself I really should get out of bed.

8 - 9:00 a.m. "Multi-tasking at its Finest": Make coffee, play with the dogs, whip up breakfast, make lunch & throw together enough healthy snacks to last 12 hours on campus. 
Here's a little tip from me to you:  If you bring your lunch & your own healthy snacks, you'll make better (i.e. "healthier") choices when the hunger strikes (for me, it hits every 2-3 hours!) and you'll feel better, think faster, and won't spend a bunch of money on candy bars and Diet Coke... (I've been a caffeine/sugar junkie for quite some time, and let's be serious - the crash after the sugar/caffeine high is really kind of a drag and just leads to a vicious cycle of sugar cravings! Who has time for that?  Bring your own snacks.)

9 - 9:15 a.m.: Do a few minutes of yoga & stretching to release the tension in my lower back from kickboxing and also just to spend a few minutes getting myself together for the day because it's a doozy today, folks!  (Another tip: if you have a favorite way to blow off steam that gets you revved up better than a bowl of Wheaties, try to incorporate it into your day for just a few minutes - or at least a few times a week.  It makes a huge difference in stress management!)

9:15 - 10:00 a.m : Drink coffee while getting ready for the day, pack the backpack and grab an umbrella on the way out the door.  Realize I forgot to take out the garbage.

10:30 - 11:30 a.m.: Dentist. Ugh.  Find out having health insurance doesn't mean I have dental insurance.  That's a bummer.

11:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.: Head to campus and get situated in the RCB office to study and work.

12:00 - 2:00 p.m.:  Have a snack ... do a little networking, look at potential job opportunities, return emails, work on blog... get sucked into a g-chat and exchange a few text messages... Turn on Pandora... realize this is my last semester as a grad student and get a little wistful, but then give myself a pep talk that the next stage will be fabulous, too.  Truth be told, I really enjoy being a full-time grad student.  It may be hard to adjust to the routine and race of "real world" again!

2:30 - 4:00 p.m.: Finish reading Honda case & HBR article for 7:15 pm class... have another snack... print out the syllabi for all classes and any readings due this week... read and do work for class tomorrow night... realize the professor listed a new textbook since I last checked the syllabus... order it off of Amazon.com... have a snack & a cup of coffee (see? caffeine!)...

4:00 p.m.: Leave the office to try to find the 4:30 class.  (It is probably only a five minute walk away, but I leave early because I don't know exactly where Classroom South is.  Since I have no sense of direction, I have to plan ahead to avoid being lost on campus and late to class.)

4:30 - 7:00 p.m.:  Class...

7:00 - 7:15 p.m.: Bolt across campus to try to make it to my next class on time as I text my friend to save me a seat just in case.

7:15 - 9:45 p.m.:  International Business Capstone class... (This is the class that means I'm going to graduate soon! Whoa. I can't believe it!)

9:45 - 10:00 p.m.: Walk to car with keys in hand and cell phone stashed in my backpack... pay parking attendant.  (GSU Student discount! $4 for 12 hours!)

10: 45 p.m.: Finally arrive home.  Wind down, finish any readings for tomorrow.

11:30 p.m.: Go to bed and get ready to do it all again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment